The Canterbury Street Vent Shaft site in South Kilburn is operate by the Skanska Costain STRABAG joint venture (SCS JV) using a array of diesel-cost-free systems and greener devices.
Improvements on the site include 1 of the UK’s to start with 160 tonne emissions-no cost completely electric powered crawler cranes, the use of biofuels (Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil) to electricity plant and machinery on web page, an electric powered compressor and accessibility to mains electrical power on a 100% renewable vitality tariff.
Peter Miller, HS2’s Environment Director reported: “We’re delighted to get to this important milestone in our Net Zero Carbon Program.
“HS2 is playing a significant function in the decarbonisation of the building sector, collaborating with the sector and our provide chain to speed up innovation in very low-carbon technologies.
“Reducing emissions and increasing air high-quality on HS2 building web pages is important for each the ecosystem and surrounding communities.”
James Richardson, Controlling Director of SCS said: “We’re thrilled that Canterbury Highway Vent Shaft has come to be the initially diesel-free of charge site on the HS2 task.
“We’re working challenging with our offer chain to introduce renewable vitality, eco-friendly hydrogen and sustainable biofuels to assist us take out diesel fully from our sites by 2023.”
Innovations being trialled and released on other sites involve:
- ‘Cleanse Air Fuel Engine’ funded by means of Innovate British isles and led by OakTec, which replaces diesel electricity with ultra-minimal (bio-LPG) emission engines in Advante Welfare units and standalone models.
- ‘EcoNet’ formulated by Invisible Systems, Balfour Beatty and Sunbelt which controls and decreases power output from key appliances, decreasing power desire by 30%.
- Non-Street Mobile Machinery retrofit methods which provides pollution management machines onto more mature automobiles as an different to replacing the device or the motor, decreasing emissions.
- CESAR Emissions Compliance Verification which is a resilient procedure to show the EU Phase motor emission course of all building plant.
- Proactive dust management methods decreasing impacts related with on-website routines.
- Entirely Electric powered Renewable Energy making use of photo voltaic and wind to power noise and air good quality screens, web-site stability cameras and site briefing locations and photo voltaic pods powering web-sites by combining photo voltaic PV, battery storage and a back-up generator.
- Hydrogen Technology trials across web pages considering the two fuel-mobile technological innovation and flamable hydrogen methods.